Civil Litigation Lawyer Waterloo - When a business goes through financial issues, it is important to choose the right team to assist your business through the necessary processes. These may include insolvencies, bankruptcies and business restructuring. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of knowledge to be able to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide representation and suggestion, resulting in strategic, timely and effective solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises in industries like for example biomedical, airline, automotive, construction, entertainment, communications, healthcare, funeral, financial services, marketing, insurance, manufacturing, mining, technology, steel, real estate, retail and natural resources. Our lawyers can help you with the complexities of cross-border procedures administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive skill with domestic and multi-national business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation in the U.S. and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nevertheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border procedures to be knowledgeable concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised intermediaries and stakeholders within many of the biggest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the required experts could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results which are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skilled members across our worldwide firms in the numerous legal fields dealing with business reorganizations. Our office has experts in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, public and private equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides expert litigators.
Our services to various stakeholders include the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged businesses on the alternatives and options of restructuring, which consists of the directing and creating of formal restructuring proceedings under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of public and private corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, agents to and members operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings.
5. We can help the many secured creditors in the insolvency proceedings, regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests.
6. We advise trustees in liquidators, bankruptcy, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, consisting of bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. In relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors, we advise equipment lessors and vendors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring realizations and proceedings.
8. We can assist the purchasers who are businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency procedures, we help investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants.
10. We offer counsel about various litigation issues arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We can prosecute and defend in preference actions and litigating actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, such as injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf